Importance of Backlinks in SEO
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) involves a lot of tasks to improve the ranking of the website. Its organic or free form of improving the ranking of a website.
Backlinks are an essential part of Search Engine Optimization because backlinks help in building the website’s domain authority and page authority, which helps in improving the ranking of the website. However, the importance of backlinks extends further than this alone.
What are Backlinks?
Backlinks are the links created on other websites that direct back to your site. Earlier Google ranking algorithm relied almost solely on a website’s backlink portfolio. So, this algorithm was easily manipulated by black hat SEO. But after update in Google algorithms, such type of black hat SEO typically results in a penalty. So, avoid acquiring those links for your website.
It is not sufficient to just have numbers of backlinks; they need to be quality backlinks. The content of the website you made a backlink with needs to be relevant to the content on your site. The more the relevance of the backlinks to your website helps in determining the quality of the links.
Why are backlinks important?
Backlinks are very valuable for SEO perspectives because they represent a “vote of confidence” from one website to another. If many sites link to the same webpage or website, search engines can infer that content is worth linking to, and therefore also worth surfacing on a SERP.
Backlink helps Google find new pages. Just like we need Google maps to reach new places, Google crawlers need a backlink to find, crawl, and index pages on your website. Backlinks are important because they’re used as Google’s reputation tool.
To put this into context, try it out yourself. Which of these sites would you trust more?
- A site with 7 backlinks
- A site with 2000+ backlinks
Definitely you chose the second option.
I, the person reading this article after you, and Google would all have the same answer—simply because we all think of popular, backlink-rich websites as more trustworthy.
No matter where anyone who clicks a backlink and lands on your site, it helps to boost your referral traffic.
How to Get Backlink?
As we can see backlinks play such an important role in your website’s performance in search results, building a strong backlink portfolio is important. Building quality a backlink is a time consuming and tedious process. There are many ways to get backlinks, each way is beneficial for your website’s backlink portfolio.
Sites for backlink creation are:
- Directory submission – for examples: dmoz.org, usgeo.org, dizila.com marketinginternetdirectory.com
- Blog comment – for examples: Copyblogger, Problogger, Elegant Themes Blog
- Guest posting – for example: Shout Me Loud, Go Abroad, Life Hack
- Free blogging – for examples: Blogger/blogspot.com, wordpress.com, blogflux.com, thoughts.com
- Social bookmarking – for examples: Tumblr, Stumbleupon, Myspace, Pinterest
- Article submission – for examples: a1articles.com, isnarearticles.com, articlecity.com, articlebase.com
- Press release – for example: Newswire, ReleaseWire, PR Newswire
- Document/pdf submission – for example: scribd.com, yudu.com, issuu, slideshare.net
- Video submission – for example: youtube.com, dailymotion.com, metacafe.com
- Image submission – for example: Photobucket, Dribble, Crunchyroll
One of the major think in backlink is Link wheel creation. In this, all the websites have links to each other website directing one link to another link.